Ruffles! Ruffles! Ruffles! I love ‘em! Whether it be on tops, skirts, belts, headbands or other accessories, they add a bit of whimsy and romance to any outfit. Here is just one simple way you can embellish a t-shirt with a ruffle of your own.
1. If you’re using a standard t-shirt like the one pictured in the image above, feel free to cut the ribbed part of the collar off to make it a bit more loose. But it’s totally up to you. You could also use a shade shirt or even a tank top for this tutorial. If you do cut the collar, you can certainly hem it under so the raw edge is held more securely in place. I did not do so because I like the raw t-shirt edge. Again, it’s totally up to you!
2. Measure the full length around the collar of your t-shirt. Double the length of the collar and this will be the length of the ruffle fabric strip you cut.
3. Decide how wide you want your ruffle to be. Multiply by two and add a ½ inch. This will be the width of the ruffle fabric strip you cut.
4. Now that you have your width and length, cut your strip of ruffle fabric. (Mine was 60″ x 3 1/2″ … but don’t worry about being exact.)
4. Fold the ruffle strip length-wide with right sides of fabric facing each other.
5. Sew along long edge using a ¼ inch seam and press open.
6. Turn right-side-out. You will now have something that looks like a tube.
7. Fold each open (raw) end of ruffle fabric towards the inside of the “ruffle tube” and press in place.
9. Pin ruffle to t-shirt collar.
10. Sew in place with sewing machine. Once the ruffle is attached, remove your running stitch. You can usually just pull it right out, but if it gets stuck a seam ripper will be your best friend.
11. All Done! Enjoy your ruffled collar t-shirt. (If you do make one … take a picture and send it to me. I’d really love to see what you create!)
- You could also add a ruffle to the bottom of the t-shirt around the hip area, or even to the sleeves.
- Instead of sewing the ruffle around the collar, pin it in swirls around the shoulder/chest area on one side of the shirt.
Other ruffled projects: Click Here for the Ruffle Cuff Bracelet Tutorial
p.s. Welcome! Welcome! to any new visitors from the Good Things Utah site! I’m so glad you stopped by.
Stay in touch!
Sign up for the email list over there on the right side at the top of the page.