I’m always scribbling down inspiring quotes. You could maybe say they’re something I collect–interesting thoughts, fractions of poems, lines from movies, passages from books, etc. They’re “for later” I guess. I tuck them away and keep them for years. I love going through old files and coming across a quote that meant something to me at that particular time.
In my bathroom hangs a bulletin board. It’s home to a constant rotation of quotes. I read them, and try to memorize them, while I brush my teeth, dry my hair, and well … etc. The quotes change as the seasons of my life change. You could probably learn a lot about what I’m thinking and trying to understand based on the quotes I’m reading.
Here’s what’s on the board now:
- Get up from there and live like the glorious girl you are. -The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
- We know not all that lies ahead of us. We live in a world of uncertainty. For some, there will be great accomplishment. For others, disappointment. For some, much of rejoicing and gladness, good health, and gracious living. For others, perhaps sickness and a measure of sorrow. We do not know. But one thing we do know. Like the Polar Star in the heavens, regardless of wheat the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the World, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith. In sunshine and in shadow we look to Him and He is there to assure and smile upon us. -President Gordon B. Hinckley
- Whether you think you can or can’t, you’re right. -Unknown
- Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. -Henry David Thoreau
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. -Aristotle
- Never underestimate the power of a dismissed dream. I think there must be a place inside of us where dreams go to wait their turn. -Sue Monk Kidd
- Search diligently, pray always and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if you walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another. -Doctrine & Covenants 90:24
- Don’t throw effort after foolishness. -Spur, Man from Snowy River
- Don’t be a scrub! Rise to the high ground of spiritual, mental, and physical excellence. You can do it. You may not be a genius. You may be lacking in some skills. But so many of us can do better than we are now doing … We are people with a present and with a future. Don’t muff your opportunities. Be excellent. -President Gordon B. Hinckley, The Quest for Excellence
- Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. -2 Nephi 4: 35
- Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation) – there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, no man could have dreamed would have come his way. -W.N. Murray, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition
Tell me: Do you have a favorite quote? If so, what is it?