The most popular item at Island Belle Boutique is by far the silk poppy hair accessories. They’re flirty, feminine, and subtle. Needless to say I wear them all the time … like every day practically. And today, because I’m nice, because I’m especially happy these days, and because the snow has melted (hallelujah!), I’m going to share my trade secret of how to make them today. Once you understand the basic steps of how to create these fabric flowers, you can use them anywhere. They make great gifts for birthdays, Mother’s Day, favors for your luncheons and/or showers, and accessories for yourself (!), friends, and daughters.
And if you’re thinking, “I LOVE these flowers and totally need some, but I SO don’t want to take the time to make my own,” just
the silk flower line at Island Belle Boutique.
1. Cut circles of varying sizes from your silk (they don’t have to be perfect!)
4. Insert needle and thread up through the bottom of flower, thread button or bead onto the needle and insert the needle back down through the flower. Repeat this process until you have sewn on all your beads or buttons. I always recommend using odd numbers for beads, buttons, or pearls.
5. Once you’ve sewn on your last bead, knot the thread at the bottom/base of your flower. All done!
You can now attach it (with fabric glue or more stitching) to a headband
or a hair pin,
on a purse,
on a shirt,
or even on a lapel pin (for a modern take on the ever-classy corsage).
You could even add these flowers to bracelets, shoe clips, ribbon belts, skirts, throw pillows, bed skirts, napkin rings, garlands, and more!
To see this tutorial demonstrated CLICK HERE for my appearance on Salt Lake City’s morning show, Good Things Utah.
1. Use cotton fabric instead of silk. Just skip the step where you singe the edges and let the fabric fray slightly.
2. Use different colors for each layer of the petals.
3. Add tulle between the petal layers.
4. Spray with adhesive glue and sprinkle glitter for a little glam.
5. Add feathers.
Like this post? Want more tutorials and info? Stay in touch!
Sign up on the email list –> over there on the right, near the top.